St. Michael's is a filial church of Munich's Cathedral of Our Dear Lady. Owner of the property is the Free State of Bavaria. In 1921 the church and the building housing the Jesuit community ("Priesterhaus") were entrusted to the Jesuits for their use. The Jesuit order has transferred the exercise of this use - regulated by the pastoral care treaty with the Free State - to the Church Foundation of St. Michael's. Unless the treaty between the Free State and the Jesuit order is terminated, it is automatically renewed every ten years.
As owner of the property, the state is responsible for all investments that affect the building fabric. The legal entity on the side of the church is the Church Foundation of St. Michael's, which reports directly to the Archiepiscopal Ordinariate. The Archdiocese of Munich and Freising funds the salaries of the full-time staff. The Provincial appoints the fathers, who are responsible for pastoral care by order of the archbishop. St. Michael's collaborates closely with the Dompfarrer, who also serves as the head of pastoral caregivers in the city center, to provide pastoral care with a distinctly Ignatian profile to the city.
The church administration is responsible for the economic affairs of the Church Foundation. Current members of the church administration of St. Michael's are:
- Georg Freiherr von Boeselager (Financial Administrator)
- Domkapitular Msgr. Klaus Peter Franzl (Dompfarrer)
- P. Karl Kern SJ (Rector)
- Sándor Mohácsi
- P. Johann Spermann SJ (Provincial Economist)
- P. Martin Stark SJ (Superior of the Community)
The rector presides over the administrative council of the church.
In 1579 Duke William V took over the reign of Bavaria, about two decades after Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Jesuit order, had agreed to establish a Jesuit College in the Bavarian capital shortly before his death (1556). The duke had been educated by Jesuits himself. In his eyes, the tradition of Renaissance humanism seemed ideal for shaping Bavaria in the Catholic spirit.